Friday, September 9, 2011

The (Shhh! don't tell them the secret ingredient) Chocolate cake!

As a mother, I am always on the look out for new ways to get my children to eat veggies (and if i can sneak it into something that they will eat without them knowing- I'm there!).

Actually, my children are pretty good at eating their veggies, they just won't eat cooked ones-so if you take that and the fact that i have a glut of enormous marrows at the moment, I really needed to find a recipe that will use them up, and , at the same time, get my children to eat them :)

I know, i know , I'm crafty- but admit it- you are still reading- aren't you??

So, it goes something like this; Pre heat the oven to 350F or 180C, then take two cups of shredded zucchini/marrow/courgette, and (before anyone notices they are in the bowl) cover them up with 2.5 cups plain flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, 2.5 tsp baking powder, 1.5 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 3 tbsp butter,2 cups sugar,and 1/2 cup of orange juice. Mix it all together into quite a thick batter (i had to break out my electric mixer as i couldn't do it by hand!)

Put it into a prepared cake tin, i used a bundt tin 10 inches across, and then into the oven it goes for around 50 minutes (or until a knife come out clean). Take out of the oven, and let it rest and cool for around 15 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack until it cools completely.

I finished it off with an orange glaze-2 cups of icing sugar, 5 tablespoons of orange juice, it should look like runny icing. Then drizzle over the top of the cake- et voila!


No comments:

Post a Comment