Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Vegan Scottish shortbread

So, I have been away (recovering from an unplanned surgery) but I am back on my feet, and in my kitchen! Yesterday I went food shopping with my mother, and she bought a packet of traditional Scottish shortbread. Now I don't eat a lot of biscuits, but these are one of my favorites- only problem is, they are made with butter....lots and LOTS of butter! Obviously we can't make the traditional recipe, but once upon a time I managed to come up with a vegan variation that tastes almost as good as the original! All i had to do was hunt down the little piece of paper i wrote it down on- so hunt I did, and lucky for all my lovely fans out there I found it. Now my original recipe used spelt flour (obviously i made it when my son George was still allergic to wheat) so I used 480g spelt flour, but today when i made it with wheat flour, it took more like 530g. I put the flour into a bowl, together with 1 1/2tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 200g sugar. I slowly incorporated 225ml of vegetable oil to form a very soft dough.
I then pressed out the dough into shapes, today i used a round cookie cutter, and also manually cut some rectangle shapes. Put the biscuits onto a greaseproof paper lined cookie sheet, and into the oven they go at 200 degrees C until they are golden brown (it took 30 minutes today).


No comments:

Post a Comment