Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tina's Apple pie thingies

So this recipe was invented today by my daughter Tina. I provided the ingredients and the initial idea and my Daughter corrected me, improved the idea, and come up with apple pie thingies! The original recipe (that came from my dad, featured slices of banana, wrapped in a package of pastry, fried and then covered in icing sugar...well Tina said that the banana filling sounded "yucky" adn that we should use up our apples instead....



So, I used my favourite pastry recipe (see "back to basics" post for more info). I rolled it out until it was quite thin, and then Tina cut out rounds, using a wide mouthed plastic cup. We then put around 200g of apple cubed into a frying pan, with a teaspoon of sugar, the juice form one tangerine, quarter of a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of butter. We put the frying pan over a medium heat until the butter had melted, adn the apple had turned a golden colour.


Then we took the frying pan off the heat, and put a teaspoon of the apple mixture into each round of pastry. Tina then folded one side of the round to the other, and sealed it, finishing it off cleanly with a cup (empanada style). Tina experimented with some other shapes, including a ball, and I have to say they were all just a delicious! :) These 'parcels' were dropped into hot oil and deep fried until golden brown, and then rolled in icing sugar.Tada!!



No comments:

Post a Comment