Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bacon, Leek and potato pies

So, I have been missing in action for a few days, but i'm back now! Here is a pretty simple recipe that i came up with to use up the enormous leeks that we have been growing in our vegetable patch. Take one enormous leek (2 or 3 small ones) and slice it. I added 3 potatoes (chopped), half a glass of chicken stock and boiled the mixture for  10 minutes or so-to the point where the potatoes are nice and soft. 

I then took the pan off the stove, and added 5 slices of bacon (chopped) and 1 tablespoon of flour. (At this point you could also add cheese if you so wished- or indeed any other vegetables you may have lying around). Then i rolled out my pastry (i used a 500g packet of ready made pastry-just because it is too hot to be making pastry today!) and cut out my little pies, using a wide mouthed glass as a cutter to get a nice round shape. I placed around a teaspoon of the filling into each pastry round, then brushed water around the inside of the circle of pastry and sealed the pies using a fork to make a nice pattern.

I placed the pies onto a sheet of grease proof paper, and put the tray into the oven at 180C for around 18 minutes or until the pies look a nice golden brown. (I brushed the pies with egg today, but if i was making it for my egg allergic pals, i would've brushed them with milk).



No comments:

Post a Comment